Saturday, May 31, 2014

Elizabeth and Michel Become Blown Glass Artisans

We are on "Spring Break" at work this week, and while the students don't officially have class, we set up some opportunities to keep them involved.  One opportunity was a field trip to Ignite Studios, a really amazing glass blowing gallery and studio in the West Loop of Chicago.  On Thursday, about 15 students, 2 other staff members, Michel, and I rode the Pink Line out to the studio and had our own private group lesson in glass blowing.


 Part of the gallery

 The studio!


I think glass blowing is one of the coolest things ever, and I was beyond excited to try my hand at it.  Our main instructor was Pearl, a talented and highly experienced glass blower who was great with the students.  She started off with an explanation of the art and history of glass blowing, followed by a demonstration of how glass can be formed into art.  She was assisted by Brett and Joe, both experienced and talented as well. 

 Where the poles are heated and the glass is melted.

 Joe demonstrated what happens when you just let molten glass do it's thing.


 (It's orange because it's so hot!)

 And Bret demonstrates what happens when glass is actually blown.



 (It becomes clear as it cools.)

We were able to make either a double-walled bowl or a paper weight, though some students got creative with their paperweight shapes.  One students made a slice of cheese pizza instead.  Michel and I both chose bowls; mine was blue, his was green.

 It's very hot close to the ovens, but we had protective glasses and friends holding boards soaked in water as heat shields if needed.  

 Shaping the glass with wooden bowl constantly soaked in water.


 Joe is creating the separation line where the bowl will detach from the pole.


 My bowl!  

Joe and me with my finished bowl!

Joe was great and really patient.  He also let me do most of the work except for creating the separation line.  Michel worked with Brett who also let him do most of the work.  However, instead of blowing the glass for his bowl, Michel did more of the shaping with the tools, including creating the separation line.  We each got to help other students with their pieces, too.



 Putting on the color--you roll the molten glass in a tray filled with tiny shards of colored glass.  You then put the glass blob back in the oven to let the shards melt, fusing the color to the glass blob.


 Michel's bowl!

Melting the rough edges at the separation point away.

It was such an awesome experience!  I've always admired glass art, and now I can say I've actually made some glass art myself!  That or super awesome ice cream bowls.  Our bowls do hold food and are dishwasher safe!  I highly, highly recommend this experience, and I'm hoping we'll get to do it again sometime. 


No comments:

Post a Comment